Did you know employers spend an average of six seconds looking at a CV before moving on? If an employer receives approximately 50-200 applications per role, it certainly makes it difficult for you to stand out from the crowd.
What can you do to make your CV and cover letter have a lasting impression on an employer?
- Carefully target your CV and cover letter to the requirements of the advertised position.
- Match what you have to offer with the requirement of the position.
- It is easy to match what you have to offer with what the employer is looking for by simply using the advert as prompts for writing your cover letter and your CV. Highlight the qualifications, qualities, experience, and skills that they are asking for.
- Consider what the employer might need to know about you for that position
- Research more about the role and organisation. Ask for a copy of the job description if one is not provided.
- Ensure your online presence is up-to-date especially your LinkedIn profile.
- Be clear about the skills and abilities you want to emphasise as your most marketable qualities and greatest assets
- Communicate how you will contribute and add value to your target organisation
- If writing or emailing, direct it to a particular person
- Keep a list of everyone you approach, including the organisation, person and title, as well as the date
- After applying, follow up with a phone call if you don’t hear back from them within a week
DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY
After you put so much effort and time into your application, it can be disheartening when you don’t hear anything. It’s easy to think it’s personal and you’re not good enough. Sometimes it is simply that the employer is looking for a different set of skills to yours, so keep focused and continue to apply mindfully.
The truth is the job search can be hard. It’s difficult to put yourself out there and not get anything back in return. But just remember – keep trying. Perseverance and tenacity does pay off. And if in doubt, book in and come see us. We’re always here to help.
We’ve got an exciting Semester 2 schedule coming up with 100+ employers visiting AUT. Check out Employability Lab online for the latest events.